Department of Health

Help for carers

National Continence Helpline

A major resource of help for carers is the National Continence Helpline. The National Continence Helpline is staffed by professional continence nurse advisors who provide prompt and confidential advice and referral for people with incontinence, their families and carers, as well as health professionals and organisations with an interest in continence management. The Helpline can arrange for resources and publications and provide advice regarding continecne products and suppliers.

  • The National Continence Helpline operates from 8am to 8pm EST, Monday to Friday on 1800 33 00 66

Free carers booklet

The Australian Government provides a free booklet which provides further information on continence issues for carers and is available by contacting the National Continence Helpline on 1800 33 00 66. Alternatively you can download a copy by clicking on the link below:

eHealth Record System

The Australian Government’s personally controlled eHealth record system can help you to better manage your health and the health of the people you care for. You can apply online at to register someone under the age of 18 for whom you have parental responsibility. If you are authorised to act for someone aged over 18, you can apply to register them for an eHealth record in writing or in person at a Department of Human Services service centre offering Medicare services.

Once an eHealth record has been created for the person you care for you can then register yourself as their authorised representative.

Having an eHealth record gives doctors and other healthcare professionals access to the information they need to provide the best possible care. For more information visit or call 1800 723 471.

Continence Foundation of Australia

The Continence Foundation of Australia has a branch in each state/territory and a resource centre in some states. The resource centres locations are available at Continence Foundation of Australia website.

Carers Australia

Carers Australia can provide carers with information, advice and referral to services that can assist them in their caring role. Information is available on topics including home help, carers support groups, financial entitlements, support services, respite and general assistance.

  • To find out what services exist, call the Carer Advisory and Counselling Service on free call 1800 242 636 or visit the website at:

Respite centres

Respite centres allow carers to have a break. Respite Centres can organise either short term or emergency respite for carers. This respite can take place in the person's home or in a facility.

  • You can contact the Carer Advisory and Counselling Servicee on free call 1800 242 636 or visit the Commonwealth Carelink website.

Support groups

Carer support groups provide emotional support to carers. These groups may be condition specific or open to all carers. The Carer Information Service can provide information about these groups and give details of local and regional groups.

  • To find out what support groups exist, call the Carer Information Service on free call 1800 242 636.

Health & community services

Health and community services provide assessment, advice and treatment in your home from qualified registered nurses and continence nurse advisors. 

  • Contact the National Continence Helpline on 1800 33 00 66 to locate a service in your area.

Continence products

There are a range of organisations which manufacture and distribute continence equipment and products. These organisations can deal direct to the public or through other companies.

Medical wholesalers generally sell continence products to hospitals and nursing homes. Some will sell directly to the public, however you will need to contact the organisation specifically.

  • Contact the National Continence Helpline on 1800 33 00 66 to locate a continence product supplier.

For further information about products, read the brochure Continence Products.

Independent Living Centres

Independent Living Centres provide information and advisory services. They are located in each state/territory, except for the Northern Territory. Each Independent Living Centre provides information on equipment and continence products and usually has a display. All provide information on the services that are available. Visit to find you closest centre.

Alzheimer's Australia

Alzheimer's Australia provides a wide range of services to support people with a memory disorder, their carers, families and friends. The services offered include counselling, education courses, community seminars, multicultural services, support groups, professional training and advocacy.

  • Alzheimer's Australia can be contacted on the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500.